New Job offer : Community Development Outreach Worker
Big Local is an exciting project. £1m is being given to 150 local areas to generate a lasting positive influence.
SW11 has been chosen as one of these areas and is looking for a Support Worker to assist them with their communications, initially for 6 months with the potential for the role to be extended.
Big Local SW11 was allocated Getting Started funding to consult with the community and obtain their views of how £1m should be spent to improve our local area. We have now organised ourselves into a Partnership, run by a Partnership Executive.
Our Vision and Values are:
“As residents and workers in SW11, we have a long term vision of our community as a place where everyone…
* has the opportunity and confidence to widen their horizons and to maximise their potential for learning, working and achieving. (Achieving & Potential)
* feels safe and that they belong. (Safety & wellbeing)
* can have a voice, shape their future and influence the design of space and services in a way that develops ownership. (Influence & ownership.)
* has the opportunity to meet and interact, to learn and belong. (Community & belonging)
We’re committed to working in partnership to make this happen over the next 10 years and to becoming sustainable for even longer.”
We are now looking for a Community Development worker to assist the Partnership Executive to move this project forwards.
We would love to have someone from within the Big Local SW11 area but will also consider applicants from the wider Battersea/Wandsworth area.
The individual will enter into a contract with Big Local SW11, on a Self Employed basis, with flexible hours of approx 16 hours per week for an initial 6 month period with the potential to develop the role after a review has been undertaken.
Line Management: Reporting to the Chair of the Partnership Executive Committee or a delegated officer.
Time: 2 days per week
Title: Big Local SW11 Community Development Outreach Worker
Role – Overall: Supporting the Big Local SW11 Partnership to deliver its Vision and Values and the delivery of the priorities identified in the BLSW11 Plan
1. Deliver a programme of outreach with individuals and organisations in our patch to promote Big Local SW11 and to explore opportunities for joint working.
2. Work with the Building Futures Team to promote the BF Advisory Service and to organise two Battersea Together networking events; one to be held on the 23rd February 2017
3. Support Big Local SW11 members and relevant local organisations to develop a dialogue around our core themes
4. Promote Big Local SW11 and Building Futures using IT and Social Media
5. With support, undertake research into the needs of the local area particularly on the potential level of demand for or interest in the Building Futures Advisory Service
6. Have a regular presence in our community
7. To build on the Battersea Together Event (February 2016) to explore opportunities for Partnership working with relevant organisations.
8. Undertake other duties that might be relevant to the task of promoting Big Local SW11 and Building Futures
* Engaging and communicating with a wide cross section of the community
* Experience of Online and social media
* Microsoft Office programmes
* Equal opportunities and a commitment to implementing them
* The Big Local SW11 area, organisations and individuals, or a desire to get know them!
Skills and abilities
* Excellent communication skills required to work with a wide range of individuals and organisations in a range of formats
* Ability to listen and remain impartial
* Strong administrative skills
* Ability to present to small and large groups of people, if required
* Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
* Excellent organisational skills and the ability to plan, prioritise and complete tasks on schedule
* Experience of organising events
* Flexibility to work different days/hours which may include weekends
* Ability to compile reports and letters
* A commitment to the involvement of all residents within the patch
* Willingness and the ability to learn new skills.
We would require you to enter into a contract on a Self Employed basis, working on a flexible basis of approximately 16 hours per week, at a rate of £10 per hour. You will be required to invoice Big Local SW11 monthly.
Applications will be accepted in the form of a CV and an accompanying letter which sets out why you think you would be suitable for this position.
Applications are to be sent to [email protected] or by post to Big Local SW11 c/o Providence House, 135 Falcon Road, London, SW11 2LW by the 6th February 2017.
Website: You are encouraged to visit our web site www.biglocalsw11.co.uk and Facebook page where you will find useful background information and a map of the SW11 area.